Tuesday, November 18, 2008

book worm

I have a stack of books to devour. I love UNSW's library (when the books aren't missing or out on loan or otherwise untraceable). A selection of classic (more or less) titles:

G. - J. Berger
Story of O - P. Reage
Story of the Eye - G. Bataille
The Marquis de Sade: The 120 days of Sodom, and other writings - M. de Sade (the copy of Justine was lost)

blame intellectual curiousity. will be back after I'm done. with summaries, or not. most likely not considering the content (because you should read it for yourself!)

I'm halfway through G., 20 pages into Story of O (couldn't put it down when I started in the library) and 3 pages into Story of the Eye. I started reading the latter while having lunch and had to stop. It seemed like a good idea. The acts of eating and sex are both sensory pleasures/ necessities (take your pick) and go so so well together. Certain foods are believed to be aphrodisiacs, both activities involve sight, smell, touch (meals eaten with your hands are remembered better than those with utensils), and taste. Ideally. Sex also involves sound, which is optional when you're eating unless you count the sound of chewing or conversation, which is exterior to eating but sometimes enhances a meal. I digress. Short attention span. My point: full sensory experiences. Oh and my ideal partner must have an appetite. I'm going to draw up a list of essential characteristics one day.

Back to the books.

The Story of the Eye however, does not go well with food.
No.
Big No.
Should have read the synopsis first I guess.

No comments: